Tuesday 7 February 2012

Albums of 2011: Foster the People - 'Torches'

Favourite new band & debut album of the year: Foster the People - Torches

As soon as I heard 'Pumped up kicks', I knew immediately that I had to find out who this band was. Although the song got played a lot on radio I never tired of it. As someone who listens to radio for at least 10 hours a week, this doesn't happen often. 

When their album finally came out, it was early summer and their positivity & melodic tunes were more uplifting than anything I'd heard in a long time. My favourite tracks are always changing; 'Waste' was an instant iPod most played, but tracks like 'call it what you want', 'don't stop' & 'Helena beat' were soon climbing up the list as well.
 
I can't quite put into words how much I love this album, or how much I feel that it came along at a time where I needed to hear some good new music to help me along in life. If I had to define the sentiment of the album I'd just quote the chorus of 'Waste'. "And every day that you want to waste that you want to waste, you can." Every track on the album has its own personality and sentiment without being tired or lame in any way. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment