Saturday 23 July 2011

The loss of Amy Winehouse

This week I have been writing my next music post about women in the music industry behind the scenes and in the spotlight. It's not quite finished, but due to today's tragic events I felt the need to write something else first. The loss of Amy Winehouse.

This talented lady brought some great music to the world, the experiences in her life made for some great lyrics and songs, especially on the 'Back to Black' album. Unfortunately, like some talented people in the world, Amy had her demons. Once she had success she was never out of the tabloids and it was hardly ever about her music. The people I know who've seen her live say her voice was astounding. She should be remembered for that voice and not all the other stuff.

At this stage the cause of death has not been made public at least, but it was no secret she had drug and alcohol addictions. It's so sad that someone so young with so much talent can damage themselves to the point of death. Anyone who says she should have got help obviously has never had depression or an addiction. Most addicts want to get better - Amy had been to rehab many times. Her family tried to help her the best they could, but in the end the addictions took her life.

I think I've been quite shocked by this although according to some Twitter statuses I've read, many people are not surprised and said it was only a matter of time. That saddens me. No one, no matter what they do in life, deserves to die at 27. The music world has lost a great talent. I know her next album has been put back and put back. Who knows what they'll release now she's died.

Janis Joplin was also a talented singer with many demons and addictions. A drug overdose took her life at the age of 27 too. Their stars should have shone for a lot longer than they did, but music was better for having known ladies like Janis & Amy.

Forget the drugs and everything else, I hope Amy is remembered for her music and not her 'tragic life'. For me, it's all about the music. Rest in Peace Amy, you may be gone, but your music will never be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment